GEMS Program Application Information
Create Your GEMS Admissions Account
- Due to COVID-19, the admissions deadline has been extended to Monday April 27, 2020, 9:00pm Eastern Standard Time for receipt of all admissions credentials including letters of recommendation.
- Between April 10, 2020 – May 1, 2020, candidates will be notified by email and/or telephone if an interview will be extended. Due to COVID-19, applicants invited to interview will participate in virtual interview activities on two days. The first option will take place on Monday April 20 and Tuesday April 21. The second option will take place on Monday May 4 and Tuesday May 5. Virtual interview activities will occur from 11:00AM-8:00PM Eastern Standard Time. The applicant must be available on both dates in April or both dates in May. Final decision offers to matriculate into the 2020-2021 GEMS Program will be sent on May 29, 2020.
- Our GEMS Application opens January 2, 2020, and closes April 27, 2020, 9:00pm Eastern Standard Time for receipt of all admissions credentials including letters of recommendation.
- We recommend learning about GEMS from the student, alum, and administrator perspective by reviewing student spotlights and alumni success features on our website.
- United States Citizenship
- A certified 2020 AMCAS Application submitted on or before November 30, 2019
- One medical school selected for application submissions (does NOT need to be Georgetown University Medical School)
- One MCAT between January 1, 2018, and November 30, 2019
- Successful completion of one (1) year of each: English, Biology I & II, General Chemistry I & II, Organic Chemistry I & II and Physics I & II
- Successful completion of one (1) semester of each: College Mathematics, Biochemistry
1. Recommendation requests will be generated through your individually created GEMS Admissions Account. You will enter your professor’s contact information (including university email address and university telephone number). Once you submit their information, an email with a secure web link will be sent. Please note that only an official university email address with the”.edu” extension will be accepted. There are no exceptions. The secure web link appends to your individual admissions account where your professor will be able to access the GEMS Recommendation Form as well as upload a Letter of Recommendation.
2. Recommendations must be written with specific comments relevant to the GEMS program goals, and the applicant’s specific need for the experience of GEMS. Letters addressed to other “graduate programs” or “medical school” are not considered customized for the GEMS experience, and will negatively impact applicant consideration for interview. Applicants are strongly encouraged to discuss with recommenders the purpose of GEMS, and why their customized comments supporting the applicant’s need for GEMS is essential.
3. Recommendations must be written by Professors who taught you in a Math or Science Lecture Based Course, 3 Credit or Higher.
4. Two recommendations are required. Recommendations must be submitted by April 27, 2020 9:00pm Eastern Standard Time through the admissions portal.
1. Express Delivery, US Mail or Electronic submissions through Interfolio will NOT be accepted.
2. Letters from lab courses, committees, advisors, mentors, clergy, physicians, government officials and employers do NOT meet the recommendation requirement.
- Once your application is submitted, it is brought to the admissions committee for review.
- The committee votes on who will advance forward to our GEMS Admissions Day.
- Due to COVID-19, applicants invited to interview will participate in virtual interview activities on two days. The first option will take place on Monday April 20 and Tuesday April 21. The second option will take place on Monday May 4 and Tuesday May 5. Virtual interview activities will occur from 11:00AM-8:00PM Eastern Standard Time. Again the applicant must be available on both dates in April or both dates in May.