Director: Megha Shah Fitzpatrick, MD
Coordinator: Amber Weller
CLERKSHIP LEARNING OBJECTIVES:
- Acquisition of basic knowledge of growth and development (physical, physiologic and psychosocial) and of its clinical application from birth through adolescence.
- Acquisition of the knowledge necessary for the diagnosis and initial management of common pediatric acute and chronic illnesses.
- An understanding of the approach of pediatricians to the health care of children and adolescents.
- An understanding of the influence of family, community and society on the child in health and disease.
- Development of communication skills that will facilitate the clinical interaction with children, adolescents and their families and thus ensure that complete, accurate data are obtained.
- Development of competency in the physical examination of infants, children and adolescents.
- Development of clinical problem-solving skills.
- Development of strategies for health promotion as well as disease and injury prevention.
- Development of the attitudes and professional behaviors appropriate for clinical practice.
REQUIRED CLINICAL EXPERIENCES:
- Newborn physical exam (while observed by faculty)
- Physical exam with sexual maturity rating
- Developmental evaluation
- Counseling on Immunizations
- Delivery of Injections/Vaccine/PPD (SC,IM,ID)
- Weight based Medication Dose calculation
- Newborn problem (neonatal sepsis, jaundice, developmental dysplasia of the hip)
- Infant/toddler problem (UTI, sleep issues, temper tantrums, toilet training, separation anxiety)
- Respiratory illness (URI, croup, bronchiolitis, asthma, pneumonia)
- Infection/Fever workup (strep throat, meningitis, septic joint, osteomyelitis, gastroenteritis, acute otitis media)
- Behavioral/mental health issue (anxiety, depression, OCD, ADHD, learning disability)
- Child abuse, neglect and food insecurity
- Childhood obesity
- Social determinants of health
- Newborn well child care
- Infant well child care
- Toddler well child care
- School age child well care
- Adolescent well care including psychosocial assessment
- Midpoint Feedback
- Clinical evaluations
- NBME Shelf Exam
- History & Physical
- Professionalism & Participation