- Can I get a discounted price for iOS and/or Android devices?
- If I already have an 8GB iPod Touch that I'm using for music, will I have enough memory to also use it on the wards next year? Should I buy a 16GB to be safe?
- Do medical students have Wi-Fi access at GUH and Medstar affiliates?
- Are they going to give you a list of apps you'll need for the iPhone/iPod Touch?
- Who pays for the app downloads that aren't free?
- Would we have to pay monthly service fees for the iPod Touch?
- Is there an estimate of the retail price of each? Can I get a discount by ordering through the GU Apple store site?
- Are the iPhone/iPod Touch devices compatible with PCs (specifically Windows 7/Vista)?
- Are the monthly service charges included in our technology fee/budget?
1. Can I get a discounted price for Apple devices?
A: For Apple devices, go to the Apple Store for Education to buy an iOS device from apple directly with a discount. For iOS or Android cellular devices, you can please see the Celluar Service Discounts and Ordering page.
2. If I already have an 8GB iPod Touch that I'm using for music, will I have enough memory to also use it on the wards next year? Should I buy a 16MB to be safe?
A: Music and video tend to occupy the most memory. See Apple's website for the amount of media content that can be stored on each device. Also, you can use iTunes to manage and limit the amount of media content to allow enough room for applications. We recomend at least 16GB.
3. Do medical students have Wi-Fi access at GUH and Medstar affiliates?
A: All 1st and 2nd year medical students can get a MedStarGuestnet WIFI password to allow internet access in MedStar hospitals. All 3rd and 4th year medical student have access to the more robust Physician Wireless Network (PWN). All Hosital WIFI passwords will will be distributed via one45. We will also be exploring Wi-Fi access at non-Medstar affiliates such as Fairfax, Arlington, and the VA most afiflaites do provide some WIFI access for students.
4. Are they going to give you a list of apps you'll need for the iPhone/iPod Touch?
A: Yes. A list of required and recommended applications can be found here. All applications must be downloaded through the App Store on the device. Most medical applications are currently free.
7. Is there an estimate of the retail price of each?
A: Yes, see the Apple store (http://store.apple.com/us) for the retail price of iOS devices. Alternatively, please check the website of your preferred wireless carrier for Android device prices.
8. Are the iPhone/iPod Touch devices compatible with PCs?
A: iPod/iPhone devices use the iTunes application to synchronize content and manage the device. iTunes is available for both Mac and Windows platforms, including Windows 7/Vista.