A guide to the School of Medicine’s conference reimbursement policy.
The Office of Finance and Administration — in conjunction with the Dean’s Office and the Office of Student Research — provides funding support for medical students presenting at conferences. As a testament to the research prowess of the student community, the number of students reimbursed rose by over 50 percent between academic years 2016-17 and 2017-18. In an effort to maximize the number of students that can be reimbursed, the new conference reimbursement policy effective August 2, 2018, the policy for reimbursements is as follows:
- Students must request a reimbursement prior to the conference. Requests that arrive after the conference will be denied. However, reimbursements will be processed after the conference.
- The maximum reimbursement amount is $650.
- Students are only eligible to receive one conference reimbursement per academic year. There are no exceptions to this rule (i.e., students cannot receive one $400 reimbursement and one $250 reimbursement).
- Domestic and international conferences are covered.
- Reimbursable expenses are limited to: registration fees, airfare, accommodations (hotels, hostels, AirBnB), poster printing, and ground transportation (trains, buses, cab/rideshare services). Meals and any upgrades will not be reimbursed.
- Reimbursements will only be extended to students presenting at conferences.
Please complete this form for the Office of Student Research to review. Upon receiving approval, you may request funding from the Office of Finance and Administration by completing the pre-approval form. You will receive a response from the Office of Finance and Administration within 2 business days, confirming receipt of your request and outlining the next steps.