GEMS Program Application Information
Create Your GEMS Admissions Account
- Between April 4, 2022 – April 25, 2022, candidates will be notified by email and/or telephone if an interview will be extended. As we are still in a COVID-19 safety context, applicants invited to interview will participate in virtual interview activities on two days. The first option will take place on Monday April 18, 2022 and Tuesday April 19, 2022. The second option will take place on Monday May 2, 2022 and Tuesday May 3, 2022. Virtual interview activities will occur from 11:00AM-8:00PM Eastern Standard Time. The applicant must be available on both dates in April or both dates in May. Final decision offers to matriculate into the 2022-2023 GEMS Program will be sent by May 31, 2022.
- Our GEMS Application opens January 3, 2023, and closes March 31, 2023, 9:00pm Eastern Standard Time for receipt of all admissions credentials including letters of recommendation.
- Recommendations must be submitted by March 31, 2023, 9:00pm Eastern Standard Time through the admissions portal.
- United States Citizenship
- A certified 2022 AMCAS Application submitted on or before November 30, 2021.
- One medical school selected for application submissions (does NOT need to be Georgetown University Medical School).
- One MCAT between January 1, 2021, and November 30, 2022.
- Successful completion of one (1) year of each: English, Biology I & II, General Chemistry I & II, Organic Chemistry I & II and Physics I & II.
- Successful completion of one (1) semester of each: College Mathematics, Biochemistry.
1. Recommendation requests will be generated through your individually created GEMS Admissions Account. You will enter your professor’s contact information (including university email address and university telephone number). Once you submit their information, an email with a secure web link will be sent. Please note that only an official university email address with the”.edu” extension will be accepted. There are no exceptions. The secure web link appends to your individual admissions account where your professor will be able to access the GEMS Recommendation Form as well as upload a Letter of Recommendation.
2. Recommendations must be written with specific comments relevant to the GEMS program goals, and the applicant’s specific need for the experience of GEMS. Letters addressed to other “graduate programs” or “medical school” are not considered customized for the GEMS experience, and will negatively impact applicant consideration for interview. Applicants are strongly encouraged to discuss with recommenders the purpose of GEMS, and why their customized comments supporting the applicant’s need for GEMS is essential.
3. Recommendations must be written by Professors who taught you in a Math or Science Lecture Based Course, 3 Credits or Higher.
4. Two recommendations are required and must be submitted on university letterhead – no exception. Recommendations must be submitted by March 31, 2022 9:00pm Eastern Standard Time through the admissions portal.
5. Recommendations that do not follow the criteria outline in steps 1 through 4 will negatively impact an applicant’s consideration for interview.
1. Express Delivery, US Mail or Electronic submissions through Interfolio will NOT be accepted.
2. Letters from lab courses, committees, advisors, mentors, clergy, physicians, government officials and employers do NOT meet the recommendation requirement.
3. Recommendations that do not follow the criteria outline in steps 1 and 2 will negatively impact an applicant’s consideration for interview.
- Once your application is submitted, it is brought to the admissions committee for review.
- The committee votes on who will advance forward to our GEMS Admissions Day.
- Between April 3, 2023 – April 24, 2023, candidates will be notified by email and/or telephone if an interview will be extended. As we are still in a COVID-19 safety context, applicants invited to interview will participate in virtual interview activities over two days. The dates are Monday May 1, 2023 and Tuesday May 2, 2023. Virtual interview activities will occur from 11:00AM-8:00PM Eastern Standard Time on each day. The applicant must be available on both dates in May, 2023. Final decision offers to matriculate into the 2023-2024 GEMS Program will be sent by May 31, 2023.