M3 Clinical Advising
Clinical Advising Timeline
NRMP Charting Outcomes 2016 – Characteristics of U.S. Allopathic Seniors Who Matched to Their Preferred Specialty in the 2016 Main Residency Match (1st edition). This report provides data that shows how individual characteristics relate to the probability of applicants matching.
NRMP Program Director Survey 2016 – This is a report that outlines the various attitudes and concerns of residency program directors as far as what they are considering in resident applicants as they decide who to interview and who to rank.
NRMP Data website – There are additional reports at the main NRMP website.
Do not forget the variety of career development resources available to you at the Dahlgren Memorial Library!
Two different timelines are presented here for your review.
The Dahlgren Memorial Library outlines the Careers in Medicine third and fourth year timeline here.
Your GUSOM Clinical Advisors offer a slightly more detailed timeline below.
M3 Clinical Advising Timeline
- July – August: 3rd year class meeting on Careers in Medicine and Clinical Advising.
- September: Each 3rd year student submits Clinical Advisor preferences.
- As students complete their clinical clerkships, they should maintain a running log of their Clinical Clerkship Evaluations.
- Mid Fall Semester: Each 3rd year student is notified of his/her Clinical Advisor.
- Between November ‐ January: Clinical Advisor conducts one group meeting with his/her advisees.
- Prior to this meeting, the student should have completed the first two sections of their Clinical Advising Portfolio and e-mailed a copy of the portfolio to their Advisor.
- If the student feels comfortable sharing this information with his/her Advisor, they might also bring copies of their Personal Profile/Self Assessment from the Careers in Medicine Website. They should at least be familiar with the general answers provided from their work, which should be captured in the Portfolio.
- Students should also review the Guide to Fourth Year prior to the Clinical Advisor meeting so that the Advisor does not have to repeat what is already available to the student. This resource can be found on the class google drive.
- Forward questions that are not covered in the Guide to Fourth Year to your class president to be collated and addressed at the Class Meeting in the spring.
- Between April ‐ June: Clinical Advisor meets individually with each third year student.
- Prior to this meeting, the student should have completed section 3 of their Clinical Advising Portfolio and e-mailed a copy of the portfolio to their Advisor.
- By July 1, each rising 4th year student should have attended:
- the class meeting on Careers in Medicine and Clinical Advising
- a group meeting with his/her Advisor and
- an individual meeting with his/her Advisor.